Saturday, August 1, 2009

Weekend Tourney Round Robin Results

So, I'm a bad loser.  Something I always knew but has become more apparent over the latter part of my life.  My team is out - crap!  We got pumped 18-11 in the first game (to Bully, Nortz, Ward, and Soar) with a notable lack of defense.  We organized a little better for Saturday morning and won 8-4 -- good!  Now, if you've ever participated in a tourney and been in a 1 win-1 loss situation you know that advancing to the semi-finals sometimes is hard to predict.  You have to win your last game and maybe another team has to lose theirs.
So, me being a bad loser, I try to make it so the team who has to lose does!  The team we beat 8-4 needed a guy so I inserted myself (and scored a couple goals) to try to get them on their way to sucess - boom - they won.   Now, all we have to do is win our next game...  GOALTENDING???????????  Honestly, our goalie is a great guy but was just poop on this night.  We lose 12-11.  Neilson out!

But, the boys have been successful.  Impressing all with their skills and speed.  Competing well with OHL and NCAA guys (approx. their age) as well as a couple pros.  The tournament has been a huge success.  I had a chance to see the older guys play in Montreal and it has been my pleasure to see the four young fellas play.  From the stands (because they were in a different division then my team) I got to see Callum and Will play some very good hockey.  They compete very hard and each has a unique set of skills that make them effective and have managed to qualify their team to the semi-finals.  I actually played against Josh Ward and Tom Soar and saw first hand some very good things.  I felt Josh was the best player on the ice in his Friday's match against our team.  He drives the net so well and has a good willingness to turn the corner on the opposing Defenseman.  Tom Soar, is different - what a shot - and is quite streaky.  I feel when he grows into his big frame he will use his immense potential more and I will be encouraging him to consistently offer his top-end skill.
The older fellas have all been good and have made notable impressions on me.  I will follow up tomorrow after the semi-finals and finals with more news but for now... I'm tired and disappointed to have lost my own tourney - despite my best efforts to fix a win.

Asked by someone in an NHL Central Scouting Interview when I was 17:  "would you cheat to win Corey?"
Answer, "Definitely!  I'd trip my 70 year old Mom to win a race."

No comments:

Post a Comment