Saturday, July 18, 2009

Satuday's performances...

Improvement!

Bottom line was a morning loss of 9-3 to a good young group of NHL 1st and 2nd rounders.  A different line-up today by coach Bruce as well.  Up front on the second line was Haywood, Bullas, and myself.  We finished the day's play even meaning we got scored on once and we scored one of our team's goals.  Our forward line did very well and created a number of very good chances:  Bullas found himself alone in the slot twice and Haywood had a break-away.  I missed one of those too.  These two young men were excellent line-mates and I would say that they impressed all.  On the blue-line Tom Norton stepped in and did an excellent job alongside former first round NHL pick (12th overall) Mario Laroque.  Nortz also got a chance to play with former Panther Steve Pelletier and new signing Dominic D'Amour.  Dominic is in fantastic form and is shaping up to be a dominant defender in our league capable of contributing in a LOT of ways on the ice.

Our third and final game was really fun!  Bully sat this one out - but only because he was the only guy to play the first two... We ended up losing this one too but it was a very tight affair with them getting a couple goals in the last minute to beat us 8-5.  Playing against NHL 35 goal scorer and captain of the Buffalo Sabres, Jason Pominville, was a great experience for all.  We played against Alex Burrows too of the Vancouver Cannucks and he and I got to exchange a couple of glances on the ice.  Apparently I was trying too hard for summer hockey... superstar!!!  I'm proud to say that my buddy Bruce stole the show with 2 goals and an assist.  Ross Dalgleish put in very strong performance on the puck and notched himself goal and assist.  Rounding up the tally were Matt Haywood with a goal and myself with an assist.  Lacho and Steve Lee also put in strong performances and I was so pleased with everyone's effort and confidence on the puck.  It was also my great privilege to see our new star centre Marty Gascon play - he's gonna be GOOD!  Wow, any one of my scoring wingers are going to be in for an unbelievable season playing with this guy.

But I would have to say the best part of the trip for me was taking orders from Bruce.  The role reversal was fun and since it was his show I had to do as I was told.  I'm surprised the little midget didn't make me fill up the water bottles too.  I jest, he was an unbelievable host for all of us and the boys couldn't thank him enough for this glorious opportunity.  The only shame was that I didn't have a bigger car to bring Will, Callum, Soar, and Wardy.  Hopefully, they will get this chance in the future.

Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment