Friday, July 17, 2009

So... we lost 8-1

Well, I must say that I've had better starts to tournaments but when all is said and done we weren't "that" unpleased.  There were, after all, extenuating circumstances (meaning, good excuses to the layman).  The lads and I drove for a solid 6 cramped hours, ate our pre-game meal at the Fifth Wheel Truck Stop (which, by the way, is my old man's favorite place for a road-side meal - but not a traditional pasta 'n chicken pre-game), checked into our hotel, had a swim, and then got crushed by a great team of Italian National players...
To their credit, the Italians were fast, had played together as a unit in the "Reebok" summer league in Montreal, and simply were a good bunch of players.  Sam Bullas shone brightest tonight while Bruce and Dominic looked good.  I failed to get on the score-sheet except at the end in the "shoot-out for beers" where my patented back-hander went right where it was supposed to and deposited the goalies water-bottle on the ice... we lost that event too!
The guys (Bully, Lacho, and Dags up front with Lee on D) looked fine but in truth they played a little apprehensive and convinced themselves that they were out-classed.  I hope they learn from this lesson as they can compete and will compete.
Tomorrow at 1pm we're up against a group of NHL drafted 1st and 2nd round picks - all young guys about their age so it will be a fantastic measuring stick for them.  I can tell that some are pump (not pumped - cause we're in Montreal - and Bruce swears to me that pump is correct English here).

No comments:

Post a Comment